Establishing a race equality mentor matching service is of utmost importance for us at Tai Pawb. Historically, racial disparities have plagued the sector, affecting access to housing, housing quality, and overall outcomes. By establishing a mentor matching service focused on race equality, the sector can actively address these disparities, foster inclusivity, and embrace diversity. The service aims to enable housing professionals to develop a deeper understanding of cultural nuances, enhance their cultural competence, and provide more tailored services to racially diverse communities.
How does this link to Anti-racist Wales Action Plan?
ARWAP asks housing providers to:
Organisations’ boards, advisory groups, senior leadership and workforce reflect the diversity of ethnic minority people
Organisations to demonstrate how they will ensure anti-racism and race equality are to be embedded within their organisations both as employers and service providers
What you can do
To get involved with our Mentor Matching service you can take the following steps:
- Complete the expression of Interest form HERE
- Establish Clear Roles and Responsibilities: Once you decide to engage with our race equality Mentor matching service, we will then establish clear roles and responsibilities for participation. Determine the number of mentors and mentees your organisation intends to provide, the level of commitment expected from participants.
- Provide Support and Resources: Support participating employees by providing them with the necessary resources, training, and guidance. Ensure they understand the expectations of a mentoring partnership and have the tools and knowledge to engage effectively. Consider providing ongoing support and opportunities for mentors and mentees to share experiences and best practices.
- Monitor Progress and Evaluate Impact: Regularly monitor the progress of the mentoring relationships and evaluate the impact of the scheme on participating employees and the organisation as a whole. Gather feedback from mentors and mentees to assess the effectiveness of the program and identify areas for improvement.
- Maintain Ongoing Communication: Foster open and ongoing communication with the scheme. Stay updated on any updates, events, or training opportunities we offer. Share success stories and lessons learned from your organisation’s participation in the mentoring scheme to promote knowledge sharing and collaboration.
The objectives of a race equality mentor matching service can include:
- Promoting Cross-Cultural Understanding: One objective of the program could be to foster cross-cultural understanding and empathy between individuals from different racial and ethnic backgrounds. This can help break down stereotypes, reduce unconscious biases, and enhance cultural competence within the organization.
- Facilitating Knowledge Exchange: The program can aim to facilitate the exchange of knowledge, experiences, and perspectives between mentors and mentees. This can provide valuable insights into the unique challenges, perspectives, and strengths of different racial and ethnic groups, promoting a more inclusive and informed organizational culture.
- Addressing Racial Disparities: An objective of the program may be to address racial disparities within the organization. By pairing senior employees with mentors from racially diverse backgrounds, the program can help identify barriers and opportunities for advancement, address systemic biases, and work towards creating a more equitable workplace.
- Enhancing Diversity and Inclusion Efforts: The service can support the organisation’s diversity and inclusion initiatives by engaging senior employees in conversations about race equality. It can help them understand the experiences and perspectives of individuals from different racial backgrounds and enable them to become advocates for diversity and inclusion within the organization.
- Developing Leadership Skills: Another objective can be to develop leadership skills in mentors by giving them the opportunity to share their insights, knowledge, and experiences with senior employees. This can enhance their communication, mentoring, and leadership abilities, empowering them to contribute to a more inclusive and diverse workplace.
- Inspiring Innovation and Collaboration: The program can aim to inspire innovation and collaboration by encouraging diverse perspectives and ideas. Through the mentoring relationship, mentors can bring fresh insights and alternative approaches to problem-solving, benefiting both the individual mentees and the organization as a whole.
- Building a Supportive Network: The program can foster the development of a supportive network for employees from racially diverse backgrounds. It can provide mentees with access to mentors who can offer guidance, advice, and support, ultimately helping to create a more inclusive and supportive work environment.